Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Visual Novel or Kinetic Novel? That is the question.

When I initially wrote out To Hell with Love! (which at the time was called Glutinous Succubus), the over all story was really short and was a surprisingly fluffy piece that ended up with Enia falling in love with a human girl and them opening up a ramen shop together. When I first transcribed the story to a visual novel format, it was short, flat, and too much like a dating sim. I hated it, so I scrapped it entirely and built it from scratch, building up from my original idea of a demon falling in love with a girl.

I fleshed out my characters, gave them reasons, hopes, and dreams, realistic reactions, and found out that my 5K story had jumped up to about 30K. Then I found a plot hole. And when I fixed that, my word count jumped up to an approximate 100K. It's terrifying how big this project came, and now I'm stuck on a little conundrum. Whether or not I want it to be a VN (where your choices affect the ending) or a KN(where your choices do NOT affect the ending). The problem with this is because the game will be separated into three arcs, there would be no way of knowing what the player chose in the previous arcs and have it affect the next. So maybe I'll have to change it so that the first to arcs are KN in style (with a few choices that don't affect much), and the last arc being the actual VN piece where you can get any of the crazy endings I have concocted.

Why oh why did my first piece have to be such a huge project? It's too late now, time to get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment